Sunday, January 6, 2008

TWO babies?!?!?!?

During the course of this adoption process, whenever I have told my friends or family that we are adopting, they have reacted with surprise. And when we go on to tell them that we are adopting TWO babies, they always seem to respond with something like, "Are you crazy?" or, "That's insane!" (that one was from my dear pediatrician) or, "WOW! You're going to be really busy!" Even friends of mine who have more than six children of their own have uttered, "Wow" in surprise.

Now, to those friends and family who may have had reactions similar to this (and there are many of you sweet things out there :), I am not trying to make you feel guilty or tell you that I am upset by this. I am not surprised by your reaction at all. We expected our loved ones to be surprised and amazed. God has called us to do a mighty work for Him through this adoption. And, God has a tendency to cause surprise and amazement in people. ;)

I have to admit to you, that I have had my share of doubts about our calling to adopt two babies at one time. Those of you who know me, know that I have a tendency to be a "worry wart" (as Debbie coined it). I worry only because I place myself in the driver's seat of my life, and I forget that God is in control. However, I have found that I am not alone. There are several people in God's history who were called out of their comfort zones to do something mighty for Him.

One in particular was Moses. He had doubts about God's calling him to the task of leading the Israelites out of Egypt. After all, he was not a great orator. "Who am I, that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?", he asked. Yet God empowered him to approach Pharaoh and he led the people out of Egypt.

I want to be like Samuel. When God called him, Samuel heard His voice and he replied, "Here I am". Kevin and I have said "Here we are" to God's call. We want to be used to do His mighty works. It will not be ME that is successful at mothering these babies. Not at all. It will be the provision of God's grace that empowers me to do a work that could not at all be done in my own strength.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

I have confidence in you, but even more confidence in God. He has given you a job and an opportunity and He will help you fulfill it. He is like that. I heard this and loved it, it's so true,

He doesn't call the equipped... He equips the called.

Love,
Debbie